Thursday, December 29, 2011

014: TRANSFORM


Kimberlie Wong
Untitled , Graphite, Ink and Watercolor on Paper

 "There was a time when monsters co-existed with the land and animals. In order to survive, the monsters would journey out each day to kill the land and animals for their meat. At the same time they believed them to be their ancestors. Because of this belief they only killed what they needed to survive.
Over time, the monsters grew in numbers and invented tools to effortlessly kill the land and animals. These tools distanced them from their ancestral bonds. The land and animals watched this in fear and wept, but the monsters ignored their suffering and continued the massacre."
 Detail:





A lot of the work I have done in the past two years were somehow related to the ambiguous relationships between human and animals. My work as early as the Leslie series (1, 2, 3, and 4) focused on the connection that can be formed. This work came out of the number of pets that my family has owned and loved since my childhood. I started dabbling in the darker aspects of humans relationship with animals when I had a very vivid nightmare. After that I decided to become a vegetarian and then a pescetarian...which didn't last very long. I started producing work such as Gyu-kaku and the piece above. It is currently Untitled, and was the final product for my BFA capstone class and part of the TRANSFORM exhibition at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I took a fairytale approach on the subject of animals in slaughterhouses- as many people (including myself) are ignorant or simply ignore their sufferings.
Thoughts and feedback are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment